On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, Jeff Chapin wrote:

> It must have been hard in the bad old days, when you needed to shave off
> every unneeded byte...

Think about that every time you type 'ls' instead of 'list'! Seriously,
the legacy of those times is still very much with us.

(I remember trying to teach a VMS guy UNIX one time. He gave me no end of
grief because the command to display a file on the screen is 'cat'. You
know, because that's totally my fault. I tried to explain to him that
that's short for 'concatenate', and that it can do a hell of a lot more
than his precious 'TYPE' on VMS, but nooooooooooooo...)