> If I make a symlink on the NTFS drive using Linux, will that symlink
> work when I attach the NTFS drive to a Windows 7 machine?  Do any of
> you know the answer?

Sorry, no idea.

One thing to remember here is, its not linux, cygwin, or windows which
is the key factor. It is NTFS. The file system needs to have the
concept of a symbolic link. The version of NTFS used in XP does not
have the concept. The .lnk files is a hack around the missing concept.
It seems like NTFS used in vista does have the concept. Hence it might
be possible to create them on the file system.

However, my experience as a Unix nerd, tells me to avoid symbolic
links as much as possible.

      Andrew