On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Andrew Lunn wrote:

>> Is this what everyone is doing these days?
>
> Pretty much. Although i tend to use openntpd, rather than ntp. Being an
> openbsd project, it might have better network security.
>
> You might want to check the man page for -g, if you are used to using
> ntp-date.

In "man ntpd", the -g option leads me to the -q which has this info:

   -q  Exit  the ntpd just after the first time the clock is set.  This
       behavior mimics that of the ntpdate  program,  which  is  to  be
       retired.   The  -g  and -x options can be used with this option.

So they are putting ntpdate out to pasture and ntpd is taking over.

Mike