Good suggestion doing 'lsmod.' One of the goofy modules I didn't
understand and deleted from the new configuration file was "matrox_w1"
-- something about my MatroxG400 video card having "Dallas 1 wire master
control." Huh?? Well there it was, in lsmod, loaded for what I still
don't know.

But your suggestion will help a lot. The last time I recompiled a kernel
was SuSE 9.2, still a 2.6 kernel (??). And it had a nasty bug in the
serial port driver that, when setserial was used, would disable the FIFO
and not re-enable it as expected. By the time I patched and "cleaned up"
that kernel I lost USB. So I can already see I'm headed in the same
direction.

Thanks.