General comments.

You do not have to use any of those environments (KDE,GNOME, etc) if you do
not like them. Use FVWM2, like I do. It does not use 3D acceleration and will
not be an immediate problem to running X (X11 that is).

Use more and more command-line linux software. If you program serial ports,
you sure do not mind doing it on the terminal. If you program simulation
software like I do, command-line is just about all you need. Again, simple
X servers with something like FVWM2/MWM will work fine when it comes to having
a LOT of terminals (xterm) open.

On complexity. You cannot avoid it. And I would argue that the Linux
"micro-kernel" architecture design with modules is very good for keeping
bad things out of your functional things. If you do not like a particular
aspect of the system, do not compile it in your kernel. If you do not like
a particular way the system is put together, switch distributions or piece
one together. None of those things are easy...

I feel that people want the convenience of Ubuntu-style (Microsoft-legacy
thinking) "apt-get" installation and system management. With the greatness
of being able to do what you want comes the responsibility of doing a lot of
it yourself; it is a lot like politics in real life.