**** My reply is in-lined below, as is proper netiquette. ****

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 08:31:19PM -0500, Brian Wood wrote:
> Iznogoud writes:

You should try looking in the POSIX8 (ie has the POSIX standards for 2008 (newest) under Interfaces which has a list
of hyperlinks for all POSIX C functions. On these pages,
it tells you what #include files to use.

This would be the best way to make your program the most portable as possible.

After all, POSIX means "portable systems interface" and
it applies to UN-X operating systems. POSIX standards
helped put an end to the "UN-X wars".

So you can try this "portable way" on FreeBSD, Linux,
and for fun perhaps try it on Windows. But don't expect too much for Windows is VMS based not UN-X.

Observe:
  VMS
+ 111
  ---