On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 3:16 PM Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> rhayman writes:
>

>> In Feb of 2017 I bought a Dell XPS-15, 32G RAM, 4KUHD 15", 1TB PCIe SSD
>> The first thing I did after booting Windows 10 and running full
>> diagnostics was replace the PCIe SSD with a Samsung 960Pro 1TB and the
>> Killer AC 1535 BT/WiFi card with an Intel card (can't remember the
>> model) for better throughput and better driver support at that time.
>> Having replaced the PCIe SSD allowed me to re-install the Win10 SSD for
>> low level firmware updates from Dell that wouldn't be coming from any
>> Linux repo.
>

> That's good to know, but I'm wondering why you didn't do a dual boot.
> It seems that would have allowed you to get those updates more than
> once.  In the past, I've replaced Windows on a laptop with Linux.  That's
> been great until I want to sell the laptop.  Then I take a hit -- so with
> this one I'm planning to dual boot it.

I received a new Dell laptop a few days ago and am liking it.  The only
thing I'm not happy with is the keyboard.  I'm thinking of trying to map
the 'Alt' and 'Ctrl' keys to the right of the space bar to be 'Home' and
'end' keys.

Rather than dual booting it, I installed Virtualbox and a Manjaro guest.
That was fairly easy to do, but I'm not able to increase the number of
CPUs to more than one for that.  I still may dual boot it.  Does anyone
run Linux primarily as a guest VM  on Windows?

One thing I did with the VM was test my software.  My back tier runs on
FreeBSD on a separate machine.  On this laptop I ran my middle tier
on Manjaro and the front tier on Windows.  It took me a few hours to get
everything installed and configured to test that configuration, but once I
did, the test was easy.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - In G-d we trust.
https://github.com/Ebenezer-group/onwards