Brian,

The inherit nature of a LIVE system on a thing (usually a DVD/CD) is that it’s RO media.

You should check your /etc/fstab file to make sure it’s not loading RAM disk (or virtual disks) up for the R/W file systems and, if it is, consider installing the OS to a USB flash media instead of a LIVE USB — which is designed for testing/fixing things on a living system and not be your daily driver…

—
Ryan