Re: (ASCEND) AMI to B8ZS conversion?

Troy Settle wrote:

> Tim:
>
> Check out Cicat Networks at http://www.cicat.com
>
> They've been awesome in helping us communicate with Bell Atlantic.  If
> there's a solution to this "problem", cicat will be able to help you out.
>
> They've helped Bell Atlantic figure out that they could indeed to FX PRI
> lines, centrex, etc...

Since I started working with Maxen, I've learned a whole lot more
about telco stuff than I ever wanted or expected to, but I still don't
know enough about it. However, either what I know is wrong (possible)
or I'm mis-understanding the point of this original thread: i.e. to
somehow convert AMI/D4 to ESF/B8ZS. I remember someone saying that
it could be done by jury-rigging an Adtran.

As I understand it, the important difference in the two framing types
is that AMI/D4 uses 56K per channel, with 8k for signal info,
whereas the ESF uses all 64K per channel. For this reason, we even get
our point-to-point T1s configured ESF. It goes without saying (it
seems to me) that if the line is a PRI, it would have to be ESF.
Converting from one type to the other would do no good, as the band-
width really wouldn't change.

Now, the telco says for point-to-point that it doesn't matter, 'cause
they constantly set our lines up as AMI/D4 and only change them when
we ask. I don't know when to believe them, and in fact, as little as
I know, I know more than the folks that SELL us these lines.

Maybe it's all FM. Or I have mis-understood everything I've ever heard,
which again, is a strong possibility.

'Shot