(ASCEND) Re: ascend-users-digest V96 #926

Hi,

Andre Beck <beck@ibh-dd.de> wrote

> IMHO that's more than 12 months.

in dubio pro reo  (oder so aehnlich) ;)

> Another option I have mentioned here several times would be to simply
> give ExpCallback aka Callback-Expected-Yes a real meaning: If an out-
> going call is made with Callback-Expected-Yes then it is no intention
> to build a link and thus doesn't need to allocate the route in the
> first place. If a call is Callback-Expected-Yes than another incoming
> call on the same profile is NO call collision but instead could be used
> to drop the outgoing call and then has to be answered. The information
> is already there - it just has to be used more educated than "uuh - we
> won't call out again for the next 90 seconds".

I'm not sure whether that's too complicated for Ascend to be
implemented ;)

> My impression is that Ascend can develop some selective ignorance to
> certain problems. Sometimes this finally resolves (Ho Ho Ho - Leased/Leased
> is there in 6.0!) and sometimes not. We hoped the callback problem
> would resolve in 4.6Csomething when the mysterious ExpCallback made
> it into the code - but what ExpCallback really does shaked us.

I know that Christoph Rohlaender was involved on the German part of
the problem but this "feature" seems to be implemented from abroad
without a reality test in Germany :-(

> there is nothing to investigate further. The problem is clear,
> > e.g. German Telekom claims they stay with the standard for delaying
> > the disconnect cause. So the only way to get this problem fixed is
> > the above mentioned.
>
> I would doubt that. Q.931 specifies ONE case where a disconnect can
> be delayed: "Call Refused" aka 21 can be delayed up to 7 seconds or
> such on a P-T-MP S0 in order for other devices to still grap the call.
> There is no reason, however, why "Normal Call Clearing" should be
> delayed as it is more like "I take it and immediately drop it" instead
> of "I won't answer this". To be silent of the delays we have seen in
> reality which were far beyond 7 s. There _is_ something wrong there.

At least that's the info you get from the local service. Even if you
use an ISDN analyzer its close to useless to convince a local
technician from the Telekom. Even if *HE* is convinced, how long will
it take for the change to be implemented by Siemens or SEL in the
system software ?

If *YOU* have the Q.931 and can proof the problem to be on the
Telekom side, have you talked to them ? What did they say ?

Previously I thought it would be easier to implement a working fix
for that in the firmware than having the Telekom change their
timing. Meanwhile I came to the conclusion that it's more likely
that the problem is fixed earlier on the Telekom side, even before
Ascend *REALLY* knows what the problem looks like...

> > Come on, it's a few minutes work to implement the timeout value
> > for an outgoing call choosable by a parameter.
>
> Or give ExpCallback a more educated meaning. We are using the wrong-
> IP-in-outgoing-profile-hack to trick the Max but maybe this tricking
> is a source of other problems (I could imagine memory leaks to build
> up on it).

I don't care *HOW* if it's fixed at all in a reasonable time, say:
ho about another 12 months :-(

Bye, Torsten Droste