RE: (ASCEND) Q: Status of OSPF in 5.0Ap36

Oliver, unfortunately you must reboot to get OSPF running and to make
most changes.  This is truly inconvenient and bad design, and no don't
look for a fix anytime soon.

As for stability, OSPF runs very well on the latest releases as long as
you keep it simple, use just a single area, and never let the box get
too busy.  If it does get CPU bound or memory bound, the OS seems to
want to crash OSPF pretty quickly.

That means half load of modems, no or very light filters, etc.  We run
quite a few Maxen with 48 modems and 2 PRIs only, and rarely (almost
never) ever have any problems at all. No FE's no sudden resets, no
routing problems, and adequate performance.  More, it's been that way
for some time. (modem compatibility issues aside of course)

The 4004 was *marketed* to make you believe that it could handle 72
modems, HDLC, features enabled, route this, bridge that, RIP, OSPF, la
da da.  It was engineered quite differently.

Best regards,

David Van Allen - FASTNET(tm) / You Tools Corporation
dave@fast.net (888)321-FAST(3278) http://www.fast.net
FASTNET - Business and Personal Internet Solutions