Re: (ASCEND) security hole in p50

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Brett Hawn wrote:

> This is only if you don't change the access in the security profile, its
> relatively simple to turn off if you pay attention to what your doing. I
> agree that its silly to have that as the default but... its ascend :)

> > The 3 levels of access are pointless because once you have the telnet password,
> > it allows you to go into diagnostic mode and dump the p50's config to a
> > tftp server, complete with all passwords for the unit....

It's actually a good idea.  Most customers using pipelines for NAT don't
want to bother with all that security gobbledegook.  Personally I think
there can't be enough security, but for ease of installation, Ascend's
stance on intital setup configuration security is good.  It saves me a lot
of headaches.