Re: (ASCEND) TNT 672 modems, DS3 Channelized

   I believe UUNET (tm) :) deploys TNT's in multi-shelf environments, I
haven't heard too much on how it's been working, Ya know how quite they
are over there :) But on the other hand, I'm looking to also use
multi-shelf here in the near future, Current deployment of TNT's here
in our enviroment consist of

{ shelf-1 slot-1 0 }       UP       8t1-card
    { shelf-1 slot-2 0 }       UP       48modem-56k-card
    { shelf-1 slot-3 }         OCCUPIED
    { shelf-1 slot-4 0 }       UP       48modem-56k-card
    { shelf-1 slot-5 }         OCCUPIED
    { shelf-1 slot-6 0 }       UP       48modem-56k-card
    { shelf-1 slot-7 }         OCCUPIED
    { shelf-1 slot-8 0 }       UP       8t1-card
    { shelf-1 slot-9 0 }       UP       48modem-56k-card
    { shelf-1 slot-10 }        OCCUPIED
    { shelf-1 slot-11 0 }      UP       48modem-56k-card
    { shelf-1 slot-12 }        OCCUPIED
    { shelf-1 slot-13 0 }      UP       48modem-56k-card
    { shelf-1 slot-14 }        OCCUPIED
    { shelf-1 slot-15 0 }      UP       4ether-card
    { shelf-1 slot-16 0 }      UP       192hdlc-card

put a giving each TNT a hdlc card is a waste as we only terminate maybe
5-10 digital calls on each TNT. plus we can only terminate 12 PRI's of
traffic thus leaving 4 open T1 ports (this really adds up as we add
TNT's). So if I look at going multishelf, I should be able to better
utilize the Box and lower the price per port at the same time.

Jason Nealis
Director Internet Operations
Network Access
Erols Internet