Re: (ASCEND) ATM MTU 64 KB ?

Hi,

Neil J. McRae wrote:
> The GRF-400 used to support HIPPI tunelling over ATM.

You're right - but this makes the HiPPI interface unusable for
IP-Routing. So it is in our case not the most desirable option
(although we think about it)

Anyway, do you have experiences with HiPPI-over-ATM-Tunneling on the
GRF?
I would be very interested.

There is a paper from the University of Minnesota and
the Minnesota Supercomputer Center that compares
HiPPI-ATMOC3-Tunneling and HiPPI-IP-Routing on the GigaRouter.
They conclude that in both cases maximum end-to-end HiPPI speed
is about 13 MB/s I think. A colleage of me mentioned that the longer
connection-setup time of HiPPI over an ATM tunnel could turn out to
be a problem when it comes to higher bandwidths e.g. an
HiPPI over ATMOC12 tunnel.

Tassilo

--
Tassilo Erlewein
Computing Center University of Stuttgart

tel ++49 711 685 5871
fax ++49 711 678 7626
e-mail: erlewein@rus.uni-stuttgart.de