Re: (ASCEND) 127.0.0.[2-xxx]

At 02:05 PM 12/28/97 -0100, Christian Vogel wrote:
>Hi,
>
>this question came to my mind when I read the question about
>127.0.0.2-packets...
>
>Where can I find some explanation of the internal Ascend-MAX-Interfaces with
>IP-Numbers 127.0.0.2++ ?

An excerpt from the Max manual...

MAX IP interfaces

At system startup, the MAX creates its Ethernet and internal IP interfaces.
When the system is up, it adds IP interfaces as they are created. For each
IP interface that is not configured as a private route, the MAX also adds a
route to the routing table at system startup.

     The Ethernet IP interface is always active, because it is always
connected.

     The Ethernet interface label is ie0. Its IP address is assigned in
Ethernet>Mod Config>Ether Options.

     The loopback (lo0) interface is always up.

     The loopback address is 127.0.0.1/32.

     The reject (rj0) interface is always up.

     The reject address is 127.0.0.2. Packets routed to this interface are
sent back to the source address with an ICMP "host unreachable" message.

     The black-hole (bh0) interface is always up.

     The black-hole address is 127.0.0.3. Packets routed to this interface
are discarded silently.

     The inactive interface is where all routes point when their WAN
connections are down.

     The inactive interface label is wanidle0.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com