(ASCEND) Max4048 16port k56 card dead?

I have a Max4048, with (3) 16port k56 modem cards.  I was running
5.0Ap27 for a few months, with no problems to speek of.  I did a
"reset" from debug mode (for no significant reason), and when the
Max came back, the 3rd modem card was "Not Available", and in diag
mode there was a message like this for each modem on the card:

MODEMDRV-5/15: boot dwnld fail (scratchReg[4e0081ee]=0xbe)

I then upgraded to 5.0Ap36, and after the reboot the modem card is
still "Not Available", and the debug messages were of this form:

MODEMDRV-5/15: LCR write failed (LCR=0x0)

Can anyone offer any advice/help/sugestions?
Thank you in advance....