Re: (ASCEND) 56K Modem Throughput Degradation

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Neal Pitts wrote:

> On Sat, 31 May 1997, Richard Stride (BCTI) wrote:
>

> > We have been seeing that people using 56K modems have been having a
> > difficult time connecting with our Max 4004, which have analog modems in
> > them, not the new modems that support 56K.
> >
> > We are using 4.6C on our Max's. Has anybody had a similar experience with
> > 56K modems having problems accessing the network?
> >
> > Our users connect, but are unable to send any packets out, I try to ping
> > and get 100% packet loss. They wind up disconnecting, Radius reports it as
> > a normal session. They can connect to other ISP's and they have no problem,
> > only ours...
> >
> > This happens a lot with the Sportster X2 modem.
>
> When I worked over at Erol's, we had problems similar to this.  Jason can
> probably expand more on this issue, but our fix for the problem as I
> remember was to upgrade by a few patches.  Unfortunatley, I don't
> rememeber what patch fixed the problem. :(  We saw the problem with
> virtually every Rockwell based modem.
>

> Neal Pitts
> BBN Network Analyst
> npitts@bbn.com || --this space for rent--

Agreed, I had modem connectivity problem all through the 4.6C branch.
But, 5.0 really seems to be the best code tree for GOOD rockwell
code. I use to have a lot of problems getting Sportster and Courier
modems to get good connect rates, And certain sportsters would
drop connection when they retrain. In good light of ascend all
that has been addressed in the 5.0 Tree.

Jason Nealis
Erols Internet
Manager Internet Operations
Dial Up Access