Re: (ASCEND) Re: MAX Java Configurator confounder

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:48:53 +0000, James Fischer wrote:

>        Ben Duncan said:
>
>>For once I will agree with "That Guy from Livingston" ;)
>>
>>A cross-platform Java program CAN be written.
>
>        Ummm, excuse me for butting in, but is not "cross platform"
>        the whole idea behind, and only advantage to, the entire
>        concept of Java?
>
>        Have I missed something somewhere?
>
>>We run a Solaris x86 Based ISP. We have the new SunWeb Server JAVA based
>>software. The configurator is written entirely in JAVA and can be run from
>>-ANY- browser capable system (Winslut 95, Window N(ice)T(ry), and even, yes,
>>Mahackintoshies ;).
>
>        I can't imagine why Ascend thinks that any tool for any
>        serious shop would be anything BUT Unix-based.  While I
>        can see the obvious advantages of supporting Windoze
>        and other desktop OSes for a tool that deals with a
>        Pipeline 130 or lower, I cannot imagine that any
>        significant percentage of Max owners are using other
>        than Unix-based servers.

Well some us serious people also use other OS's apart from Unix-base

I personally use OS/2 which has satisfied my needs very nicely
thankyou. The best saving grace for Ascend products I have found is
the telnet interface. without it I would be looking elsewhere.

Java is not always java, but I would like to see someone come up with
a radius server written is java which could run nicely on any
platform...... (sorry just had to get that in somewhere....)