Re: (ASCEND) 12-card vs 16-card (56K)

At 08:30 PM 6/18/97 -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:

>We are looking at uypgradeing to the new 56K modem cards in the 4004
>chassis. Because of performancve we want to keep a maximum of 60 modems
>per chassis. The question is, should we go with 12-cards or 16-cards?
>The question of available slots and price is a wash.
>
>1. Are the 12-mod 56K cards new cards or re-furbs of the 12-mod 33.6 cards?

Totally new.

>2. Will there be support for the 12-mod cards in the future, or is Ascend
>   positioning the 16-mod card as the flagship?

We still support 12 mod.

>3. Is there a performance benifit from having 12 modems on 1 card
>   vs. having 16 modems? eg.. is it the same CPU and bus and architecture
>   except the number of modems?

For most people, it depends on the number of channels they have to the
network. In T1 countries, 12 is a multiple of the 24 channels you get. In
E1 countries, the 16 fits better.

>Also -- is there a choice of 12 or 16 mod cards with the 4048 or does it
>default to the 16-mod card?

Well, 16 doesn't fit into 48 does it? So I would assume that the 4048 has 4
12-mods. If you check out the web page
http://www.ascend.com/products/max4048/max4048index.html you'll find more
info.

Matt Holdrege  -  http://www.ascend.com  -  matt@ascend.com