RE: (ASCEND) 5.0Ai13 Fatal Error's

Bruce,

OSPF on the Maxen is 80% implemented. The 20% that is not deals with
STUB areas and more complex, yet very necessary parts of the protocol.
Ascend is *very* aware of the issues.

The Good News is that the 80% that is implemented seems to be stable
since early 5.0A patches.  We have groups of Maxen, Cisco routers, and
Bay routers that all participate in reliable OSPF environments.  The
OSPF route tables at times approach many hundreds of learned routes.
Caveat: The entire OSFP group is all in Area 0. We "connect" the
multiple Area 0's together by summarizing in to other IGP's.  You can
also simply static route these together if your network is not too
complex or dynamic.  We would use OSPF totally if Ascend would get the
other 20% right, as I'm sure they will.  Plus our emphasis is on
qualifying the TNT's OSPF code right now, not the Maxen.

Here's a brief rundown of how we have the network arranged:

All Maxen are 4004 with four 12Mod cards each, never any more. (the
older 33.6 and the new S56 cards both worked with OSPF just fine). We
keep the Maxen pretty cool by keeping the Colo's or the NOC nippy. Input
is either from CT1 or PRI, no NFAS (Bell Atlantic can fathom that
concept), no authentication is used (that's broken too) no filtering is
used (we do that at the edge in routers) and the OSPF router options are
very standard and simple in the Max config's. The Cisco's are at the
edges and we redistribute static, RIP and connected subnets into OSPF.
The Bay's are border routers for customer T1 connections (BCN's and
AN's) and are also redistributing into OSFP.  Backbone routers out of
the POP's or to Internet peers are Cisco 7513's running iBGP and eBGP
with no IGP's redistributed.  We're also toying with using IS-IS as a
summarization method between the POP's.

Leaving out everything from a router aspect, If you have this anything
close to this type of environment then I am lost as to why you are
having so many problems and I hope the above may help you solve the
mystery.

Best regards,

David Van Allen - You Tools Corporation / FASTNET(tm)
dave@fast.net (610) 289-1100  http://www.fast.net
FASTNET - PA/NJ/DE Internet Solutions