(ASCEND) P75 multilink woes

(please forgive me if this has been covered often...)

I'm trying to connect my Ascend P75 (running 5.0Ai16, though all 5.0 release seem to have this issue) to a windows NT machine (4.0, I think) with a digiboard pcimac.  I can connect using PPP (with ms-chap even) with no problem, but I cannot connect using MP or MPP with a basechannel count of 2.  I've had similar problems connecting to my ISP (though I'm not familiar with their equipment).

The wanopen snif shows the lcp negotiation progressing, but the p75 intermittently sends an 003D packet (multilink, ostensibly).  It never gets a response from the server (though nt4 does support mp); after the 6'th or so transmit of an 003D packet, the P75 abruptly closes the channel and reports "Lan Session Down - Foo" (when I say abruptly, I mean it -- most times, it terminates the connection right after a wan-recieve of an IPCP Configure-ack).

Has anyone seen this?  Am I nuts for thinking mp should work?

Thanks
--rob