Re: (ASCEND) Hybrid Access? (fwd)

Once upon a time Vesa Halkka shaped the electrons to say...
>can it also provide both terminal server  and 'automatic' PPP with
>one profile ? (like Ascend MAX).

We have it so you can have two profiles - but ONE username/password.
Same end result, different philosophy to get there.  We don't like the
Ascend system of leaving Service-Type off.  We prefer keeping profiles
seperate depending on the type.

For example:

DEFAULT1	Auth-Type = System, Framed-Protocol = PPP
		rest of PPP entry

DEFAULT2	Auth-Type = System
		rest of login entry

Now, if the user uses PAP or CHAP (or if they say 'PPP' on a PM configured
to give a Host: prompt first) the NAS sends a 'hint'.  We use the hint as
a check item to differentiate login types.

So 'bob' uses PAP/CHAP and he gets PPP, he logs in manually at the prompts
and gets shell.

This is our RADIUS 2.0/2.01 server - it also allow user defined Prefix/Suffix
for things like Puser, user.ppp, user%slip, etc - you define what you want.
Some sites have patches to older RADIUS versions or other vendors and this
allows them to switch transparently.

There are other check items that you can key off of too, of course,  So
one user name can have a variety of different profiles, depending on what
they are doing.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588