Re: (ASCEND) limiting 56k connections

At 02:55 PM 6/17/97 -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
>At 07:54 AM 6/15/97 -0500, Mark Wilson wrote:
>>Does Ascend's version of Radius allow you to differentiate between standard
>>analog, 56k, and ISDN users. I don't want a 28.8 users logining in if they
>>don't pay for 56k.
>
>You can discriminate between analog and ISDN users, but not between the
>various
>analog standards like V.34-and-below versus K56flex....whatever V.XX that
will
>eventually become.

Not on a per user basis, but you can per Max. In the all-new 5.0Ap13
release notes, check out the following...

Ability to select between V.34 and K56Flex modulation

MDM Modulation is a new parameter that provides the ability to configure
K56Flex-capable MAX modems to either negotiate for a maximum baud rate of
56K or a maximum baud rate of 33.6K. By default, all MAX modems attempt to
negotiate for the maximum baud rate possible. This parameter enables you to
restrict K56Flex modems from negotiating above V.34 modulation rates.

MDM Modulation

K56Flex-capable MAX modems. The selection specifies the maximum baud rate
the MAX modem negotiates. The modems will continue to negotiate to slower
baud rates based on line conditions or restrictions of the far end modem.

Usage: Press Enter to cycle through the choices.

 K56 instructs the MAX to negotiate using the K56Flex protocol.

This is the default.

 V.34 instructs the MAX not to negotiate using the K56Flex protocol.

Dependencies: If TS Enabled=No, the MDM Modulation does not apply (MDM
Modulation=N/A).

Location: Ethernet > Mod Config > Tserv Options

Matt Holdrege  -  http://www.ascend.com  -  matt@ascend.com