Re: (ASCEND) Cause Code 17.

At 09:23 PM 6/11/97 -0400, Jason Nealis wrote:
>>Ok. Here is whats happening here, I pull a modem pack in the front of the
>hunt group and bamm, The full huntgroup rings busy. From what we saw from
>the debug, It looks like the box is sending the CC 17, But the switch may
>not behaving correctly, I'm no expert when it comes to switch
>configuration, So I guess the question is , What do I tell the CO to
>do on a CC17?

OK, I did a bit of research here. Of course, each switch behaves
differently. The good news for folks in the U.S. is that the NIUF is adding
B channel availability features to NI-98. So, next year you should be able
to busy out B channels dynamically to nearly any ISDN switch in the U.S. At
least Lucent, Nortel and Seimens will support it.

Today, you can do it via a custom feature on the 5ESS. Nortel has a
different facility and with their new software it seems that we may be able
to make it work there sooner than 1998. But that is under development.

I don't know of any similar facility in Euro-ISDN/NET 5, does anyone?

However, there is no signal you can send to a switch which will tell it to
skip all the channels in one Max or T1 and move to the next one. However,
there are many different hunting algorithms available. I think there is one
that will hunt to the next available channel on the next PRI. But getting
your telco to provision this may be difficult.

Another new feature in the works for switches is bearer cap for SFG's. This
would allow you to build one SFG for voice calls and another for data. They
can share the physical channels. But that may not make it til 1999.

Matt Holdrege  -  http://www.ascend.com  -  matt@ascend.com