(ASCEND) Reasons to stick with 4.6bp26

We currently use 4.6bp26 on our Ascend Max 4000's and 4004's.

I was wondering what are some good reasons ( if any ) NOT to upgrade to a
more recent version.
Note the emphasis on NOT.

As it stands we have not upgraded our boxes OS since October 96. We have
seen some interesting problems with 33.6 modems and x2/K56 modems trying to
connect with our service.

The most recent problem I have had the pleasure of dealing with was a USR
33.6 modem with Flash Rom date of 3/17/97. The Clock Freq was 92. When
downloading a large file off the internet the customers network connection
would just stop and hang. I suspected the pause bug problem, but the more
recent rom date suggested that this was not the problem.

This is all moot since the customer has now left us, but I was wondering if
many of the newer modems that we are seeing, and that are having problems
connecting, or maintaining their connection, would be eliminated by using a
more recent OS.

I have gone through the release notes for all the OS releases since the one
we are using, and have seen some of the fixes that have been issued, but
not being that familiar with the Ascend's OS, one has to ask the question:
is it possible the newer modems firmware might be having problems because
of the OS we are using on our Ascends?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

In the beginning the Universe was created.  This has
made a lot of people very angry and been widely
regarded as a bad move....... Douglas Adams