Re: (ASCEND) sot busy-out

> > - Have more channels than modems (very useful)
>
> Why is this useful? All you are doing is answering calls without a modem being
> available which causes the call to be dropped.

Only if it's an analog call, of course. If you have as many modems as
channels you are wasting one modem for every digital call.

> > So I don't see why disabling a modem should also cause a channel to be
> > disabled. Makes no sense to me.
>
> Disabling a modem does not cause a channel to be disabled. You say so yourself
> in your next sentence.

There is an option to do disable a cnahhel.

> > Yet the Modem Diag options offer you the option of "disable modem" or
> > "disable channel+modem". If you ask me, the latter is stupid.
>
> Disable channel+modem is useful if you don't have spare modems and there is a
> 1:1 relationship b/w channels and modems.

Someone pointed out to me that the usefulness of doing this comes from the
fact that not all switches can provision the lines the same way. On our PRIs,
if a call comes in and there is no modem available (but possibly
channels available), the analog caller gets a busy or skips ahead in the
cascade, while the digital caller can still come in and take the available
channel.

-Phil