Re: (ASCEND)Help-Connect Speeds-56K (fwd)

Once upon a time Richard Johnsson shaped the electrons to say...
>Currently 56K is illegal. The max you can get within FCC regulations is
>53K. I've only made a few tests (with a Supra 56K) and the best I have

This is not correct.

The FCC limits the power you are allowed to place on the line.  For USR's
X2 this means 53K is their max.  To get 56K they must violate the limit.

K56flex technologically doesn't have this limit, but it is very hard to
get 56K with lower power.  I don't know if Rockwell has been able to do
so with their implementation, but Lucent says they can get 56K.  But I don't
know if this will survive the work on both sides for final interoperability,
or, even if it does, if you'd ever see it regularly in the real world.

The FCC says NOTHING about max speeds allowed - only about the power levels
you can use to transmit.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588