RE: (ASCEND) SNMP polling of interface statistics for Max 1800

One of the great strengths of the MAX is the dynamic ability to handle calls. However this comes at a cost to the traditional management model that expects that each remote site comes in on the same interface day after day. The interface that the nailed PPP connection between two sites uses is dynamically assigned to a new interface each time either system is reset. Trending based on the interface is impossible.

If the connection is made over Frame Relay you can trend the DLCI counters found in RFC1315.

Otherwise, you can determine the interface temporarily assigned to the connection and trend that information.

Ken Packert
Network Management Division
Ascend Communications
516 468 4810