Re: (ASCEND) 48 modem limit on Max with 56k cards

At 09:28 PM 5/12/97 -0700, Bennie wrote:
>>At 12:28 PM 5/10/97 -0700, adamg@via.net wrote:
>>>
>>>It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the 4004's
>>>performance sucks with 72 modems?
>>
>>....well since no one has yet even seen a 4004 with 72 series-56
>>modems, I'm curious as to how you make this conclusion ?
>
>I currently use a 4004 with 6 DM-12's. We have seen no performance
>penalties.

Even in this case, you should see some improvement in overall performance
since the new architecture takes some load off the CPU and places it on
a per-card DSP instead.

>We are getting great reviews by our users who are switching
>rapidly from other local ISP's. We will be buying another 4004 in the
>next month or two. We do use a Cisco for routing and a Mac running
>MacRadius for authentication. I am just waiting for the series 56 modems.
>I wish ascend would support X2 and K56Flex so we could offer the best of
>both worlds until their is a real standard. Kinda like V.Fast.

2 reasons. a) USR will *not* license the X2 protocol spec to any other
              RAS vendor.
           b) The licensing agreement with Lucent/Rockwell prohibits
              support for any other 56K protocol in the same system as
              the K56flex protocol. (This is the case with Lucent, and
              I believe it is also the case with Rockwell).

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service