Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4004> Seeing Data Rate of 31200 after changing to 33.6

At 03:04 PM 5/19/97 -0400, Neil Movold wrote:
>I have recently changed my configuration under 90-800 Mod Config/Tserv
>options/Max Baud from 28800 to 33600 in order to see if our 33.6
>customers could work at higher speeds than 28.8.  Since the change on
>both of my maxen, I have seen customers get data rates of 31200.  Is this
>normal?  The cards are both the MOD-8 and MOD-12 cards.  Should I not
>expect to see data rates of 33600?  Is this a hardware limitation?

With the new K56flex Max modems, I'm now seeing 33.6 from just about
everywhere. From home, from airports & hotels across the US, I call back to
California at 33.6 now. With the old modems, it was more difficult to get
better than 31.2 based on my limited experience with a Zoom 33.6 pcmcia modem.

>What about these K56FLEX cards at lower speeds with heat etc as
>problems?  I have seen before on the list that the boxes can only handle
>48 56Kb modems do to heat etc.  However, if the maxen were configured to
>only handle speeds to 33600, would that have any affect on the heat
>problems and thus allow for a full 72 modems in a 4004 chassis?  The
>thought here is to take advantage of the K56FLEX Upgrade plan to replace
>the recently purchased MOD-12 28.8 modems with the newer 56Kb modems in
>order to take advantage of the better performance of the new cards.

The K56Flex cards actually dissipate heat better than the older modems. So
heat is not an issue.

Matt Holdrege  -  http://www.ascend.com  -  matt@ascend.com