RE: (ASCEND) Multiple MAX 4004's ver 5.0ap1, Stack, Rip V2, to OSPF network?

At 11:19 AM 5/20/97 -0700, Kirk Rogers wrote:
>John,
>I think my original message got lost so...here it is again.
>This looks like it works for static SINGLE IP address users.  But if I
>have P75's with IP addresses of 129.4.140.1/29 and the MAXen are
>129.4.247.251/28 and 129.4.247.252/28, then would this scenario still
>work?
>How about this?:
>
>	XXXXXX  Password = "YYYY"
>	        User-Service = Framed-User,
>	        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>	        Ascend-Route-IP = Route-IP-Yes,
>	        Framed-Address = 129.4.140.1,
>	        Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.248,
>	        Framed-Route = "129.4.247.251/28 129.4.140.1 1",
>              Ascend-Idle-Limit = 64000

Since this could be picked up by either of the MAXen, you will also want
to add the Ascend-PPP-Address in the entry. That tells the MAX to use
this address in the IPCP negotiation...the P75 expects a particular address
based on the "Lan Address" parameter in it's connection profile.

>The first entry in the "Framed-Route" is confusing me.  The manual says
>it is the IP address of the host or subnet reached by this route.

That is correct use, but in this case it is also redundant since the
Framed-Address and Framed-Netmask fully define that route, and the 29-bit
route will be added to the routing table of whichever MAX takes the initial
call.

>Is
>this the entry for the particular MAXen, the Cisco router, or the
>address of the incoming P75?  In my example, I used it as the address of
>the MAX, but I don't think this is correct.  If the user dialed into the
>other MAXen, this would not work?

It should be the address of the P75. But as I mentioned, in this case it's
superfluous. You would use this parameter if the P75 also carried another
route (like if it had another subnet via it's 2nd address).

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service