Re: (ASCEND) Mysterious appearing route

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:

> At 10:27 AM 5/21/97 -0700, Nelson Lee wrote:
> >
> >Max 4004, 5.0Ap3, 6 12x Modem Cards, two channelized T-1 for dial up,
> >output sent over 10bt to a Livingston PortMaster IRX Router.
> >
> >Every once in a while, the Max will report a route directly to my BSDI
> >Radius/DNS server (xxx.xxx.xxx.1/32) over one of the Wan ports (last night
> >it was Wan12).  A traceroute from the Max reports that it reaches the
> >server in one hop. A traceroute from the server never gets to the Max.
>
> Do you have pools-only set to yes on the MAX?
> Do you allow RIP updates from your WAN connections?
>
> It seems like one of your remote clients is connecting and either claiming
> to *be* your server, or claiming to have a route to it....

I have also seen this.  The Max was set to IP pool only, and does not
receive any rip.  It was a problem when I was broadcasting rip, would kill
our network until the user dropped.  We have checked several of the users
profiles and they seem to be correct.  So far all the people that get an
IP
that is not one from the pool get the IP of the radius server or our main
DNS server which is the same IP.

> Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
> Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
>                                          http://www.ascend.com/service
> To get FAQ'd:	<http://www.shore.net/~dreaming/ascend-faq>
> or		<ftp://ftp.shore.net/members/dreaming/ascend-faq.txt>

Patrick
Florida Online Staff
Network Administrator