Re: (ASCEND) Analog Multilink PPP and RAS

>From tomed@MICROSOFT.com Fri Apr 18 11:36 GMT 1997
From: Tom Edwards <tomed@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: Multilink PPP and Windows 95
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:31:38 -0700
During the ISP Briefings I discussed your business opportunity to offer
low cost alternatives to ISDN for your Windows 95/Windows NT subscriber
base. Remember that this would allow a subscriber to aggregate multiple
analog lines to double dialup bandwidth? Example: Going from 33.6kbps to
67.2kbps. Windows NT Server is your Remote Access Server solution.

I stated that mulitlink PPP in Windows 95 was a feature of OSR2. I was
wrong! It's a feature of the ISDN Accelerator Kit v1.1. (Note: you don't
have to have ISDN for it to work. It works with standard modems) I've
been using it for a while and it works beautifully!!!

First, to enable multilink PPP on Windows 95 you must download and
install the FREE ISDN 1.1 Accelerator Pack from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/software/isdn.htm

To Configure Multilink PPP on Windows 95:

Doyuble click My Computer on the Windows 95 desktop, and then double
click the Dial-Up Networking (DUN) folder. The DUN folder displays an
icon labeled Make New Connection, plus icons for each of the connections
that you have already created. If you have not yet created a connection,
double click Make New Connection to define a connection to the dial-up
service you want to use.

After you have created a connectoid, follow these steps to configure the
connectoid for multilinking:

1.Use the right mouse button to click the connectoid, and then click
Properties on the menu that appears.

2.On the General tab, click Settings in the Set Additional Devices area.

3.Click Use Additional Devices.

4.Click Add, and then specify the devices to bundled together to form
the multilink connection.

Use the Add, Remove, and Edit buttons to change the list of additional
devices. You can enter a different phone number for each device, and
both phone numbers will be stored. If you subsequently change the phone
number for the connection icon, the phone numbers associated with
additional devices on this page will not change.

Multilink Operation:

After your additional devices are configured using the procedure
outlined above, you are ready to dial your multilink connection. When
you dial the connection, Dial-Up Networking dials the primary number of
the primary device specified for the connection. Once the first
connection is established, Dial-Up Networking dials the other devices
specified in the Additional Devices list.

Once the connections are established, you can view status information
about the link by double-clicking the "communicating computers" icon
displayed in the taskbar, or you can disconnect the connection.

The status information includes the number of bytes sent and received,
the network protocols negotiated for use on the connection, and a box
showing each of the additional devices. When you select a device in the
box, a Suspend or Resume button is displayed. If a Suspend button is
displayed, the device is in use and "bundled" into the multilink
connection. Clicking Suspend disconnects that line and removes the line
from the bundled connections.

If the Resume button is displayed, click Resume to dial that connection
and add that line to the bundle. You can suspend and resume individual
links without dropping the connection.

It's all documented here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at:
http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q145/9/87.htm

On Thu, 22 May 1997, j wrote:

> Richard Safran wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> >    Has anyone implemented analog multilink PPP on a MAX with an NT RAS
> > client?
> > ++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
> > To unsubscribe: send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request@bungi.com
> > To get FAQ'd:   <http://www.shore.net/~dreaming/ascend-faq>
> > or              <ftp://ftp.shore.net/members/dreaming/ascend-faq.txt>
>

> how can you do multilink with analog? i thought that Multilink was for
> ISDN only ? how could you bind two analog channels together?
>
> j poley
> To get FAQ'd:	<http://www.shore.net/~dreaming/ascend-faq>
> or		<ftp://ftp.shore.net/members/dreaming/ascend-faq.txt>

Patrick
Florida Online Staff
Network Administrator