(ASCEND) P50 connection difficulties

I've been having some occasional difficulties getting the line to come up
right on my P50.  Any suggestions would be welcome...

The first one seems like it has to be a FAQ, but much time put into RTFMing
and reading the support web pages hasn't helped.  Sometimes the attempt to
connect to the ISP simply fails.  I get "connection terminated, cause code
017".  This particular code doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.  Anybody
got a clue as to what it could be?

Now, this problem, when it happens, generally goes away after a few
minutes.  The related problem is perhaps more obnoxious.  When attempting
to connect the first channel to the ISP, the P50 will continue trying until
the connection works.  No problem.  When it tries to bring up the second
channel, however, it gives up after the first failure.

This means that if I try to nail up the connection in MP mode, I only get
one channel if the first dial fails to work.  In MPP mode, which is where I
really want to be, it never seems to try to bring up the second channel
after it has failed once.  So I get stuck in 64K mode even when the line is
saturated.

Is there something I have missed, or is that simply the way the thing
works?

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have,

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Atmospheric Technology Division
corbet@stout.atd.ucar.edu	     http://www.atd.ucar.edu/rdp/jmc.html