Re: (ASCEND) 56K Modem Throughput Degradation

"Robert A. Pickering Jr." writes:
> Ascend Users,
>
> We are seeing pretty good connect rates with various K56Flex modems to
> our new 56K cards in a 4004.  We're even seeing good throughput rates,
> initially.
>
> What happens is that we'll get connected at say 45-51Kbps and we'll start
> a download.  The download progresses nicely for a while at around 5K/s.
> However, the download throughput will begin to degrade slowly.  About
> half way through or more with the download the speed is around 2.2K/s and
> often the connection will drop.
>
> I'm seeing this myself, as well as several other users all using different
> 56K modems (Hayes, Zoom, Diamond, Motorolla, etc).  We're all seeing the
> same problems.
>
> Anyone else seen this?  Anyone got any ideas?

4048, 56k motorola modem connects between 42 and 48k, depending on
time of day, line conditions, position of the dog star, and importance
of showing a good connect (least important->most important ;-)

Not so much speed reduces, as the download starts pausing for 2-5
seconds... Too short for a retrain (at least in v.34, anyway) so
probably a rate change... but it seems to happen too often.  Anyone
know how to tell a rockwell chipset not to shift up so often?  (I.E. give
it a few minutes of good line quality to go back up, but shift down
if excessive errors)  because jumping back and forth is rather
unacceptable.

Actually, anyone know of an end-user 56k modem that has a decent display?
lcd/LED grid, something like that.  Supra 336's have it, but only thier
lower-end 'express' model has 56k.  It's nice to have an OOB status
indicator when debugging things like failed file transfers, espically
since in PPP I can't drop to modem command mode and see what's happening.

--Dan