(ASCEND) Performance horrible on 1/2 loaded MAX 1800?

[I've put in a call to Ascend about this, but no one has called me back yet.]

We have a MAX 1800 with 5 BRI's. It is used for bridging and has a master
filter in place (an "In" filter under Ethernet/Mod Config/Ether...) to allow
ARP, non-multicast/broadcast IP, and AppleTalk packets.

Last night, there were seven B channels in use (seven individual connections
each using 56K DOV service). During this time, the MAX 1800 seemed to be
having problems keeping up and was dropping packets.

PING testing from a site on the MAX's Ethernet showed a 0% packet loss when
pinging the MAX itself, but an 18% packet loss when pinging the Pipeline at my
house.

The sad part is that this is one of the better evenings we've had. Some times,
the packet loss rate approaches 40%!

When I talked with an Ascend person three weeks ago, he recommended moving
from the individual profile filters to the single filter on the Ethernet to
reduce the MAX 1800 load. Well, it does seem to have helped some, but it's not
great.

If we're running into this problem with 5 BRI's, what can I expect for
performance from this box when/if we use all 8?

What can I do to get reasonable performance out of this beast?

--Marc

Marc Shannon                                  +1 818 919 3600
Innosoft International, Inc.             FAX: +1 818 919 3614