Re: (ASCEND) P50/USR 2B aggravation

It just happened again.  I was watching the connection timer; it happened
at 15:11.

In case this matters, I also noticed that the CLU/ALU utilization displays
are patently wrong.  I was doing two FTP downloads simultaneously in
Netscape, with a reported combined download speed of 11-13K/sec.  The
CLU/ALU utilization were varying between 8 and 10%.

The fact that it never drops before 15 minutes and always (so far) seems to
drop shortly thereafter has convinced me that one router or the other does
have a "feature" that is kicking me off.  Any other Pipeline users with
5.0Ap5 having trouble with 2B calls that last more than 15 minutes?

Doug

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 10:29 -0500 5/29/1997, William C Bonner wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 1997, Doug Wyatt wrote:
> > Three times now, the second B channel has dropped when 15 minutes into a
> > giant FTP transfer.  The transfer will continue successfully on the single
> > B channel.  The CRC count is not high or rising -- 35 errors on about
> > 70,000 packets since the last reboot.  "show isdn" simply says "CALL
> > CLEARED WITH CAUSE: 16" which is the same cause code as when I tell the P50
> > to manually hang up -- normal disconnection.
> >
> > The three times this happened, I've noticed that the connection timer was
> > at 15:35, 15:45 and 18:something.  My ISP swears there is no connection
> > timeout on his end.  Could the P50 be deciding to terminate the connection
> > after 15 minutes for some reason?  I'm using 5.0Ap5.
> >
> > I usually only fire up the second B channel for large transfers, and
> > they're usually less than 15 minutes, and usually work fine.  It's only the
> > really enormous ones, or when I'm doing lots of things in one session, that
> > the second channel drops -- and it's suspicious to me that it's always
> > after 15 minutes, never sooner.
>
> Do you manually bring up the second B Channel, or are you letting the
> system bring it up based on its Quadratic stuff?  Do you know that you are
> ftp-ing from a site that will keep you over the quadratic threshold for
> the entire download?  My experience with the ineternet has been that
> things slow down, but if I'm downloading from one hop away, (and I am in
> charge of both loacal and remote systems, so I know what is going on) I
> don't have problems.

William,

I manually bring up the second B channel; I'm using MP (not MPP); the
minimum and maximum channel count are 2.

Thanks for the reply

Doug

--
Doug Wyatt                      software development, Opcode Systems Inc.
work:     doug@opcode.com       http://www.opcode.com/