Re: (ASCEND) Hybrid Access?

At 12:36 PM 5/31/97 -0400, Talbert K. Coker wrote:
>I have just obtained a Max 4048 and two PRI lines.  While trying to
>get it set up I am getting conflicting information from different sources.
>
>1.  Do I need to dedicate channels for my Dial-In ISDN
>     users, losing the ability for analog users to use those lines and
>modems.

NO.

>2.  Or will the Max automatically determine if it is an analog
>call v.34,K56 etc. or ISDN and use the modem if necessary.

Yes. The only clause here (sometimes) is if your clients use DOSBS -
that is if the local tariff for "data-over-voice" means that your
ISDN/data clients want to make the call as a "voice" call. If not,
then nothing to worry about....if they do, then we can go deeper into
that aspect.

>I want to offer Dial-Up ISDN with the Max 4048 but if I have to
>dedicate lines to that it will affect my thinking.

With ISDN this is not necessary. With non-ISDN or CT1, then there
are different issues.

Let me know if I can help further.

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service