(ASCEND) PRI problems on Max 4000

We're an ISDN ISP in Minnesota using Max 2000s and Max 4000s.  On our 4000s,
we're having a problem with incoming calls failing with "cause code 31"
errors ...

 - intermittently a user's connection will come into the 4000 but the call
will not complete (the switch delivers the call and the 4000 shows an "r").

   > on the user-end, the call fails after a couple of seconds with a cause
31, which seems to be the Switch's way of saying that it delivered the call
but doesn't know why it failed on the terminating side.

   > on the 4000, the channel will hang in the "r" state until the next call
comes into that channel.  At that point, the channel will clear with a
message of "L1 change" on the 4000 for that specific channel and the next
call does complete.

We've tried swapping Max 4000s, upgraded software from various releases
between 4.6Bp15 through 5.0Ap5, and have gone through the ISDN PRI
translations several times.  All 3 PRIs were previously in use on different
Max 2000s and have worked fine ... they also work fine for outgoing calls as
well.

We've had a couple of trouble tickets opened for the problem (ticket #87413
and 91153), but haven't had any success there.

We have a pretty high call volume on the three PRIs for both inbound and
outbound calls.  However, we can re-create the error at times when call
volume is very low (early morning, weekends, etc.) just by placing multiple
calls to the 4000.  It seems to happen maybe 1 out of every 10 calls, then
will happen several times in a row, then disappear for a while.

If anybody's seen a similar problem or can shed some light on this, we'd
really appreciate it.  We've been banging our heads against the wall for a
couple of months on this with no resolution ...

Thanks,

Jeff Altom
gofast.net Incorporated