(ASCEND) More questions about Filters...

I've got some more questions about filters. Some people have
mentioned installing filters on my P50 to stop NetBIOS port
137 & 139 packets.

1)
Now I've re-read the chapter in the Ascend manual a couple of times
and I'm a bit confused about the Input Filter and the Output Filter.

Ascend P50 User Guide 10-7 "If the filter is applied as a data filter
on Ethernet, it affects packets from the Ethernet INTO the pipeline or
from the Pipeline OUT to the Ethernet."

So my NetBIOS filters should be in the Input Filter, right ?

2)
Below on the Right is the filter as described on Ascend's Web site, but if
I enter the information on my P50 I get the filter on the Left. Is it normal
I have some 0000 on the Mask and Value or do I need to get a full line of FF.

[Filter to stop RIP, ARP and Netbios messages]
Out Filter 01				Out Filter 01
 Generic				 Generic
  Forward=No				  Forward=No
  Offset=0				  Offset=0
  Length=6				  Length=6
  Mask=ffffffffffff0000			  Mask=ffffffffffff
  Value=ffffffffffff0000		  Value=ffffffffffff
  Compare=Equals			  Compare=Equals
  More=No				  More=No

3)
Now do I need to put this filter in the Call Filter or the Data
filter ? Or can I put them in both ?

4)
The filters as described on Ascend's web page
http://www.ascend.com/service/technotes/filter_nt.html
for eliminating the NetBIOS/NetBEUI master browser broadcast
is the same as the one they describe for stopping
DEC MOP_RC broadcast ?

	Thanks a lot for answering these questions, I know they
	might seem simple but they *are* driving me mad ;-) As at
	the moment I always remove the DIAL number and save my profile
	to disable my filter problem ;-)

					Erik Bussink
					erik@bussink.ch

--
Erik Bussink <erik@bussink.ch> http://www.bussink.ch/
 MIME attachments supported, PGP key available on request.