Re: (ASCEND) 48 modem limit on Max with 56k cards

At 05:50 PM 5/8/97 -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:
>On Thu, 8 May 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>> At 03:31 PM 4/30/97 -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:
>> >All the reps from Ascend I have spoken with recommend only 48 56K modems
>> >for performance reasons. As I said in an earlier email, just because a
>> >box (any box, not just Ascend) has enough slots doesnt mean you should
>> >load it up to %100 capacity and expect %100 performance. I think if
>> >Ascend was upfront about this it might solve a lot of future performance
>> >complaints.
>>
>> We have described the limitations per previous emails. The limit of the
>> current power supply is at around 72 modem density. That is why 6 x 12modem
>> cards is OK, but 5 x 16modem cards is not OK. You could check the specs on
>> the modems/cards against the power supply specs to verify this.
>
>Kevin,
>
>How fast does the Ascend 4048 forward packets with 72 modems downloading
>at 56K?
>
>On ethernet this is 4.036Mb/sec - ethernet can handle about 6Mb
>substained throughput.
>
>I'm real anxious to see the performance curve of 48 modems vs. 72 modems

Internal testing is well under way, and we are currently talking to an
independent test lab to ratify the results that we are seeing. Those results
should be published in due course.

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service