(ASCEND) Re: Disabling internal-NT1 on Ascend P50 UBRI

On Tue, 13 May 1997 David Lesher <wb8foz@wauug.erols.com> wrote:

> From: "David Lesher / hated by RBOC's in 5 states" <wb8foz@wauug.erols.com>
> Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:54:17 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: (ASCEND) Disabling internal-NT1 on Ascend P50 UBRI
>
> Kevin Smith sez:
> > Just incase anyone else missed it, there is no method short of surgery with
> > a soldering iron to remove the NT-1 from the U-interface Pipeline 75, or the
> > newer Pipeline 50. The *old* P50 with no switch on the back *theoretically*
> > could.....
>
> Err...
> Make that, the older P-50 with the AC supply. Some were w/switch,
> others not.

This is correct.  The older P50U's with NT1 daughterboards had the AC
power supplies that had the third prong or ground on the bug power
supply.  There is indeed a method to transform an older P50U with an NT1
daughterboard into a P50S, and it works fine afterwards as long as you
follow rules regarding anti-static, etc.

HOWEVER, if you do follow these instructions, you WILL void your warranty
and if you send your "modified" P50 back to Ascend for repair, they'll
probably send it back to you unrepaired or tell you about your voided
warranty.

While grounded, first flip your P50 over so it's upside down and
remove the screw in the middle of the case.  There are retainers for
the case along the vents on the bottom of the case that you'll have to
pry open a bit... it's fairly easy to figure this part out.  Now you
should flip it over again so it's right-side-up and remove the top of
the P50 case.

Now, carefully remove the NT1 daughterboard from the motherboard of the
Pipeline.  It's installed in a socket so it shouldn't be too hard to
remove it.  Next, you'll have to do some detective work to find some
jumper locations on the motherboard called "P5" and "P6".

If at this point, you don't know what I'm talking about, STOP, re-install
the daughterboard, put the P50 back together again and either consult
someone else or sweet talk Ascend TAC into giving you a side-grade.  I
tried to do this with my old P75U but sweet talking didn't work ;)

You'll have to jumper all of the pins on P5 and P6.  Once you've jumpered
P5 and P6, put everything back together, and assuming you were grounded
and didn't short out the entire motherboard, then you should now have a
Pipeline 50 with an S/T interface!

Again, I'm providing these instructions only for informational purposes
and if you follow them and fry your P50 and are otherwise forced to
purchase a new one, I will NOT be responsible for your mishap.

~~~
Kevin Ying                          Medical Bank Institute
Chief System Administrator          INAC Building, 5-18-23 Roppongi
kevin@medbank.or.jp                 Minato-ku, Tokyo 106, Japan
(voice) 81-3-5570-7000              (fax) 81-3-5570-7100