Re: (ASCEND) Problem with CLID/CHAP-PAP and RADIUS

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Rui Duarte Bastos wrote:

:    - Prefer   If CLID is available it is used for authentication. If
:               there is no profile with this CLID the call is rejected.
:               If no CLID is available then normal PAP/CHAP takes place.

Actually, this isn't quite true--IF you are running a later patch release of
5.0A.  This was a known bug in 5.0A release version; upgrade yourself to
5.0Ap7.  Correctly, this option tried CLID, and if that authentication
request fails, answers the call anyway and performs PAP/CHAP.  This appears
to be the option you want, with the bug.

:    - Fallback Don't know how it works

I'm not quite sure, either.  I believe this performs CLID if PAP and CHAP
are both rejected by the remote peer.

:   And in the radius file? When I have CLID available and ID Auth=PREFER
: I was never able do the authentication via CLID only. I always had to
: have a user profile and a "clid number" profile to get authentication.

Not really.  You can use:

5155552121   Password = "Ascend-CLID"
	Attribute = Value, ...

on Id Auth=Prefer; this is in fact how that option works.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@iag.net) Foo-bar-baz! ==
== System administrator/technician, Internet Access Group, Orlando Florida ==
== Dialups in Orange, Volusia, Lake, Osceola counties - http://www.iag.net ==