(ASCEND) 5.0ap5-7 login problems

We're zeroing in on this, but I admit to being stumped (again).

The way our service is set up, we have PAP/CHAP set to either, and
DON"T use a terminal login window. Some people have it enabled, though,
and are used to just clicking on "Continue" when they see the
ascend% prompt. This was working fine for everyone before upgrading
the software.

NOW, you absolutely cannot login in if you have this screen enabled,
UNLESS you click immediately on "Continue" as soon as you see the
screen.

I suspect something in the security section was changed when we updated
the code, but I can't find it. I'm reticent to just begin changing
timeouts at random, so can anyone clue me in here?

Other than that, the things are running like a bat outta Hades. Very
good job on the modem code, Ascend.

'Shot