Re: (ASCEND) Fw: Cisco / MAX4000 callback ?

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Pierre-Yves Kerembellec wrote:

> I'm trying to get the following connection working :
>
> 1) a Cisco 2003 call a MAX4000, and successfully passes
>    CHAP authentication (I use a 'ppp authentication chap callin'
>    at the Cisco side ...)
>
> 2) the MAX4000 hang-up, then callback the configured number
>
> 3) the Cisco answers the call and re-authenticate using CHAP
>    again
>
> Phase 1 works fine
> Phase 2 does not happen, because the MAX _NEVER_ terminates the call !
>
> I've got the following RADIUS profile :
>
> thecisconame     Password = "thepassword"
>         User-Service = Framed-User,
>         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>         Framed-Address = 193.XXX.XXX.14,
>         Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.248,
>         Ascend-Idle-Limit = 900,
>         Ascend-Callback = Callback-Yes,
>         Ascend-Send-Auth = Send-Auth-PAP,
                                       ^^^
   so do you use PAP or CHAP  !?!

>         Ascend-Send-Passwd = "thepassword",
>         Ascend-Dial-Number = "014612XXXX",
>         Ascend-Data-Svc = Switched-64K

> Why does my MAX never callback the Cisco ?
Are you sure the CISCO really not only calls the MAX but establishes a
PPP session (MAX hast to log: "thecisconame: LAN session UP")

> What sofware image do I need to support callback ?
> (currently running 5.0Ap7, eim.m40)
I think it should work.

> How can I test that the MAX4000 is able to dialout ?
> (used 'test #number' under TermServ, but this failed)

You cannot try it for a RADIUS profile. Do this: create a MAX connection
profile , Name="test", Dial="014612XXXX", enable IP routing and the hole
stuff involved with it. Save the profile. Enter the profile again. Press
Ctrl-D so you get the DO menu. In actual releases (5.0Ap7 for example)
you get a menu entr "2...dial". So press 2 and watch the log. It should read:
"Ougoing call to 014612xxxx. ... Connected, assigned to port bla bla bla.
LAN session up, test".

> Do you have some profile examples that works ?
>
> NB: I cannot use CLID authentication since the Cisco won't
> validate callback until fully authenticated wia PAP or CHAP
> to the other end ...

So does the MAX. It hangs up and calls back not before the LAN session is UP!

Greetings

Elmar