(ASCEND) IP Direct - does it work?

Has anyone on this list tried to get the IP direct feature working.

I have the following profile:

elmail Password = "******"
        User-Service = Framed-User,
        Ascend-IP-Direct = 10.0.0.1,
        Ascend-Bridge = Bridge-No,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
	Framed-Route = " **************** ",
        Ascend-Metric = 2

The ascend is on 10.0.0.2.  I've put ***** to obliterate information that
I don't consider relevent here.

If I trace the ethernet and ping, for instance, 10.0.0.3, I rekon that I
should see all the MAC destination addresses of each packet that comes
into the network from the dialup being that of 10.0.0.1, however
_actually_, the destination is 10.0.0.3.

In other words, IP direct doesn't seem to work.

Now, I'm fairly sure that I must have made a mistake somewhere.  Has
anyone discovered the trick to getting it working.

I'm running 5.0Ai4 on an 1800.

Cheers,

Daniel