(ASCEND) Re: Performance horrible on 1/2 loaded MAX 1800?

> [I've put in a call to Ascend about this, but no one has called me back yet.]

Supposedly, they called and left a message for me yesterday morning, yet I
don't have any voice mail nor has anyone who usually answers the phone made
any mention about it. :-(

> When I talked with an Ascend person three weeks ago, he recommended moving
> from the individual profile filters to the single filter on the Ethernet to
> reduce the MAX 1800 load. Well, it does seem to have helped some, but it's not
> great.

I talked with someone today and I was told that my problem would be solved if
I completely erase the MAX 1800's configuration (fclear/nvram) and start over.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that a performance issue can
be fixed simply by re-entering the same configuration information into the MAX
running the same software. (There seems to be strong evidence of performance
problems in general with Ascend MAX products described in such articles as
http://www.lanquest.com/reports/remote_access_servers/cisco29.htm -- "the
Ascend MAX 4000 reached saturation early in the test" -- and
http://www.techweb.com/se/techsearch.cgi?action=view&VdkVgwKey=%2E%2E%2F%2E%2E%2Fdata%2F1997%5F%5F%5B6489%5D&DocOffset=11&DocsFound=89&QueryZip=%3CAnd%3E%28%3CMany%3E%27ascend%27%2C+%3CMany%3E%27performance%27%29&SourceQueryZip=&Collection=tw%5Fcurrent&Co
-- "[The MAX] was clearly at the bottom of the heap, performance-wise.")

Maybe one of the Ascend folks who read this list regularly can comment. I'd
like to know before I spend the time to go through the effort of reconfiguring
the MAX from scratch by hand whether or not it would actually make any
difference.

--Marc

Marc Shannon                                  +1 818 919 3600
Innosoft International, Inc.             FAX: +1 818 919 3614