(ASCEND) Setting up Office to Home ISDN on NT 4.0

Steve -

sorry if this has been settled by now, I am late at browsing the list.

Steve Herrick <steveh@sbhinc.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 21:19:43 -0700
> Subject: (ASCEND) Setting up Office to Home ISDN on NT 4.0
>
> I am having trouble setting up my Ascend 75's at home and the office.
> I want to be able to access my office files/programs from home as if I
> were in the office and visa versa.  This will save me and our staff a
> lot of time.  The Ascend's are setup correctly.

> The IP addresses are
> allowing us to connect direct from location A to B (& B to A).

**** what exactly do you mean? you are able to connect? or are the
IPs from the same net?

> I am
> lacking the Windows NT 4.0 sp3 settings.  I have tried RAS but to no
> avail.  I have tried WINS and can't seem to make any headway.
>
> Could someone please point me in the correct direction?
>
> Steve Herrick
> steveh@netalive.com
> NetAlive, Inc.

If not yet resolved, what protocol have you set up on the NT machines?
Might be the wrong direction, but...NT out of the box uses
NetBIOS/NetBEUI as LAN protocol - which is _not_ routeable.
If you add TCP/IP, NT will transport NetBEUI traffic via IP packets
which _are_ routeable, e.g. via Pipelines. They call it NBT, and
surprisingly, it works. Don't know about the performance which sometimes
is secondary.

Second thought: if the pipelines do not route, maybe the IPs are not
from different networks?

WINS resolves Windows names into IPs. You could try and use a LMHOSTS
file, first column windows name, second column IP.

Before you debug the Windows networking, try the TCP/IP tools that NT
provides. I.e. ping, traceroute, telnet, ftp, ftp server. If all works
well have a look at WINS, and at NT security.

Using ISDN routers makes life a lot easier when you are connecting
remote Windows machines. I would not consider DUN/RAS for all the
hassles to come to make it work.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards,

   Wolfgang

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
                         B  E  N  E  I  C  K  E
                               EDV-Beratung
        Netzwerk-Design - 3Com Solution Partner
           ISDN Remote Access - ASCEND Vertrieb
              DIGITAL PC-Systeme und Server
                 ApplePoint
                    Windows NT-Netzwerke
                       Unix Workstation-Peripherie

Dr. Wolfgang Beneicke                                 fon +49-6223-48126
Fasanenstrasse 16, D-69251 Gaiberg                     fax +49-6223-5708
...near world famous Heidelberg, Germany