RE: (ASCEND) LAN security error

On 02-Oct-97 Beth Morgan wrote:
>Hi -
>
>I have just ONE customer who's unable to connect to my Max 2024, although
>he successfully connects to the Portmasters without incident.  He's using
>Win95 DUN.  The message I see on the console while the Max is disconnecting
>is "Lan security error."  Does anyone know why he (and nobody else) is
>getting this error?  What weird little thing in his Win95 machine could be
>causing this?  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Tell him to turn caps-lock off and retype his password ... ;)

Your radius will have (probably, I think ..) a file where security errors
are logged (ours is /etc/raddb/logfile). If you're using the free ascend
radius, and it does what ours does, then the security error will only be
logged if it's an invalid username or if the password is wrong. LAN security
errors caused by bad IP information, user already logged on, etc. don't seem
to get put in there (though  they do show up as code 42 (LAN security error)
in the messages file on our syslog host). So if the security error is mentioned
in that file and the username is valid then the password is wrong ...

Otherwise I'd check in your user's control-panel/network/tcpip that there's
nothing in 'bindings', and in control-panel/network that only tcpip is bound
to dial-up adapter, and that any IP addresses entered are correct. Also check,
in the properties for the DUN connection, that the settings in server-type
and tcp/ip settings are consistent with those in control panel/network. If
DUN tries to establish a connection for a network protocol that you have
disabled on the MAX (like IPX, say) then that can sometimes cause a security
error (I believe). Actually, if the portmasters you mention are using the
same radius server, then it can't be the password anyway I suppose ...

- Pete.

>Thanks,
>Beth

>Beth Morgan