Cannot Hangup/Always Busy (Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline 75 dying?)

I had a new P75 (S/N: 72xxxx) and I seemed to have the same problem.
In fact, even if I force it to Hang Up via CTRL-D. It will dial
right back to the ISP.
>1)	The unit just plain refuses to idle hang up anymore, I have idle
>setup at 180 and it used to work perfectly until about a month ago, now
>it will not log itself off, period.

I thought it was due to the recent installation of "IE4.0" with Active
Desktop. I was speculating that somehow the workstations were
sending packets with outbound addresses and therefore causing
the connection to be persistent. If this was so, perhaps, there's
a way to "FILTER" out those packets? Anyone know what "broadcasting"
packets, IE4.0 is sending every 10 seconds or so?

Or Maybe this is not the cause at all?

As one subscriber mentioned this could just be a problem with the
new software update. I did update to version 5.1A to enable NAT
for the LAN to work.

>2)	I cannot establish a 64K connection to my ISP.  I have had the phone
>company loop back test the line at 64K for 10 minutes and it got 0 bit
>errors, not a single one. My ISP claims every other ISDN user can logon
>at 64K but me.  I was able to connect at 64K up until a month or so
>ago.  I logged my connection and this is an example of what I get after
>a XMIT-21:

I can still login to the 64K account. But I haven't upgraded to 128K yet.

>3)	If I am online at 112K (since 128K/64K refuses to work) and I pick up
>a phone line, sometimes the remaining 56K connected to the net refuses
>to respond anymore and I cannot ping anywhere, etc, my PC is completely
>off the net.  This seems to happen randomly.

I am in a worse shape than you on this one. When I am on-line, which is
all the time now due to the aforementioned problem, one of my phone number
becomes unavaialbe (busy) - therefore, I have effectively lost a phone
number. It used to be that the P75 will be smart enough to reassign the
the number to a different B-Channel.

And as I recall, it did work once.
So I also wonder if this is a potential problem with the 5.1A upgrade although
when I looked up the reference manual, there was one paragraph on phone
company (my is Ameritech). It states that if the phone company uses
Northern Telecom's DMS-100 switch. This can happen. So I am confused.
How can it worked at one time?